The business environment relies heavily on software for many functions - from automated traffic control systems to complex manufacturing processes, and Software Engineers are pivotal in the development of software that provides real solutions. A Software Engineer needs to address the entire software development life cycle to analyse needs, and then design, test and develop software in order to meet those needs. Software Engineers document this process through the use of diagrams and flowcharts, developing computer instructions through the use of algorithms. Given the breadth of the role, a Software Engineer must have a thorough understanding of computer systems, in order to recognise any hardware limitations that could impact software design. As technology develops at an ever increasing pace, it is critical for Software Engineers to stay up to date with the latest developments in hardware, systems and coding.
- Improve system quality by identifying issues and common patterns, and develop standard operating procedures.
- Enhance applications by identifying opportunities for improvement, make recommendations and design and implement systems.
- Maintain and improve existing codebases and peer review code changes.
- Liaise with colleagues to implement technical designs.
- Investigate and use new technologies where relevant.
- Provide written knowledge transfer material.
A degree in Software Engineering, Computer Science, Mathematics or related fields is essential. Do note, some employers may require expertise in particular high level programming languages such as C++, Java or Scala.
As well as formal qualifications, candidates will also need to demonstrate the following qualities:
- A passion for solving problems and providing workable solutions.
- Knowledge of algorithms and data structures.
- Strong analytical and reasoning skills with an ability to visualise processes and outcomes.
- Proficiency in troubleshooting software issues and debugging a large codebase.
- Outstanding all-round communication skills and ability to work collaboratively.
Please note, this is an average across various industries. To compare your salary, and receive data on salaries for your sector, visit our salary calculator.
Search for Software Engineer jobs in Japan below:
Browse through our current list of software engineer jobs in Japan below, or contact a Robert Half recruitment consultant to discuss further opportunities.