Hiring an Assistant Accountant
The Assistant Accountant has an all-round role within your company’s finance team, and is chiefly responsible for bookkeeping functions while also assisting with payroll, and supporting accounts receivable/accounts payable staff.
Additional responsibilities include bank reconciliations, and inputting accounting entries in preparation for month-end closing and the generation of financial and management reports. Depending on the scale of the organisation, the Assistant Accountant may also assist with preparing regular statutory payments such as Consumption Tax.
An Assistant Accountant career
The Assistant Accountant role is an opportunity to enjoy plenty of variety and gain experience across the broader accounting function. You will be an all-rounder in the company’s finance team, who is chiefly responsible for bookkeeping as well as assisting with payroll, and supporting accounts receivable and accounts payable staff.
You will be responsible for bank reconciliations, and input accounting entries in preparation for month-end reports. Depending on the size of the company, the Assistant Accountant may also be called on to assist with preparing regular statutory payments including Consumption Tax.
Assistant Accountant duties and responsibilities
The role of the Assistant Accountant is broad, with a job description that covers a range of responsibilities, including:
- Inputting accounting data
- Reconciling bank accounts
- General ledger reconciliations
- Supporting accounts payable/accounts receivable staff
- Assisting with month-end closing
- Liaising with the wider finance and accounting team
Assistant Accountant qualifications and requirements
It is desirable but not essential for an Assistant Accountant to hold a Bachelor’s degree, preferably in:
- Business studies
Additional accounting qualifications to consider include Bookkeeping Grade 2 or higher.
An Assistant Accountant should also have the following personal skills and experience:
- Two or more years of bookkeeping experience
- Experience with accounting software
- Proficiency with spreadsheets including Excel
- Invoice processing knowledge
- Excellent Japanese language skills and business level English
- Strong interpersonal skills to liaise with other members of the accounting team
Are you looking for an Assistant Accountant role? View our latest Assistant Accountant jobs here.