Hiring a Programmer
The role of a Programmer is integral to the successful running of your company’s IT systems. A Programmer will combine business insights with technical skills to analyse user requests for system changes or improvements, and document the functional requirements needed to achieve user goals.
The Programmer is responsible for building and testing programs for each phase of systems development prior to implementation. Following this, the Programmer will review results for conformance to requirements using simple tests to determine how, when or whether to proceed with changes to the organisation’s IT system.
A Programmer career
A career as a Programmer offers exciting opportunities to play a key role in the successful running of a company’s IT systems. You will need to combine business insights with strong programming skills to analyse user requests for system changes or improvements, and document the required programming needed to achieve an effective IT system.
As a Programmer, you will be responsible for building and testing programming changes for each phase of systems development prior to implementation. Following this, you will be expected to review results for conformance to requirements using simple tests to determine how, when or whether to proceed with any changes to the organisation’s IT system.
Programmer duties and responsibilities
The role of a Programmer covers a range of responsibilities, including:
- Analysing user needs to ensure an effective IT system
- Building and testing programming changes for each phase of systems development
- Designing and running simple tests
- Documenting system requirements and recommending any programming changes to be made
- Providing ongoing training and assistance for end users
Programmer qualifications and requirements
It is highly desirable for a Programmer to hold a Bachelor’s degree, preferably in:
- Computer Science
- Information Technology
A Programmer should also have the following personal skills and experience:
- At least three years of programming experience for major applications or systems improvements
- Strong understanding of programming languages
- Experience spanning business systems support functions and project costing techniques
- Knowledge of PC and mainframe hardware/software
- Ability to research, fact-find and make clear recommendations
- Excellent Japanese and English business language skills – both spoken and written
- Strong interpersonal skills to liaise with other a wide cross-section of company teams
Are you looking for a Programmer role? View our latest Programmer jobs here.